Open burning within the Nixa Fire District requires cooperation from the permittee, the fire district, the City of Nixa, and meeting the Department of Natural Resources guidelines for Vegetative Waste burning. The Department of Natural Resources regulates open burning in the State of Missouri.
Burning is not allowed within the city limits of Nixa.
If Outside of the Nixa City Limits, following these simple tips can help in obtaining a burn permit:
- The Department of Natural Resources requires that burning will take place at least 200 yards from all neighboring occupied structures.
- You must receive permission from the local fire department each day of burning.
- No burning will take place before 6:00 a.m.
- All burning will be completely out at 4:00 p.m.
- The burn permit does not relieve the permittee of the obligation to comply with all laws and regulations.
- The permit may be revoked if the requirements of the permit are not met.
Vegetative Waste Burn Permit
- If you are a developer clearing land inside the City's Limits, the City of Nixa, the Department of Natural Resources, and the Nixa Fire District must be contacted before any burning may take place.
- If you are a developer outside the city limits of Nixa, contact the Nixa Fire District for obtaining a burn permit.
- It is recommended that residents within the City of Nixa take their waste to the Nixa Recycling Center for disposal.
- If you are a citizen with questions on burning waste inside or outside the city limits of Nixa, please contact the Nixa Fire District for information.
Items Prohibited from Open Burning
The following items are prohibited from open burning:
- Any waste generated by a business, trade or industry, or any demolition operation
- Any asbestos-containing materials
- Any petroleum based materials
The Nixa Fire Protection District does issue and require a burn permit for any open burning outside the city limits of Nixa. there is no cost for the permit. To request a burn permit, please contact the district office at 725-4025, Monday through Friday, during normal business hours. A 24 hour notice is required.
An Application for Permit to Open Burn Vegetative Waste can be downloaded here: Downloadable Burn Permit Form